FAQs on Assessment & Funding

After looking through our site you may have other questions.  We have included below some questions that parents frequently ask.

Entry and Assessment procedure

Does my child need a statement or EHCP to come to Mary Hare?
Yes. Pupils are funded by their Local Authority and Mary Hare is the named school on their EHCP.

How do you consider applications for each age group?
The entry procedure is the same for all age groups in that every pupil must be assessed before an offer of a place can be made.  The length of stay for an assessment will differ according to your child's age.

Do you have an over subscription criteria?
No. We do not cap new pupil numbers annually.  We will assess every pupil who wishes to apply for a place at Mary Hare regardless of existing numbers.

What is an independent assessment?
An independent assessment covers Speech and Language, Educational Psychology and Audiology. There are two main centres in the UK for independent assessments. Please contact The Burwood Centre for further information.

When should my child be assessed?
We assess throughout the academic year.  For Year 7 entry we aim to assess your child in the Autumn term of Year 6. This allows for maximum opportunity to consider the options and discuss with your Local Authority.

What assessments do you do with my child?
We use 10 activities to build a profile of your child and his or her strengths and weaknesses. These activities will include:

  • small group discussion
  • reading
  • verbal and non verbal reasoning
  • quantitative reasoning
  • grammar

We also check your child's ability to work in partnership with a Teacher of the Deaf (TOD). These assessments will then enable us to identify a class or group in which your child will thrive and get all the support required.  

Will my child be offered a place?
In exceptional circumstances, we may find that your child needs an approach to their education that we do not have the expertise to deliver.  This is, however, rare.

Does my child need to prepare for the assessment?
There is no preparation required.  We recognise that a deaf child may need additional support linguistically and academically.  We are skilled in seeing the potential in your child. We also know we have the expertise to accelerate your child's learning.

My child communicates using BSL. How will they adapt in your setting?
We work with children with all levels.  All pupils are encouraged to use their voice in class and to use English as the first language to access the curriculum.  We are very experienced in helping your child to use their voice even if BSL has been the main language at home. We provide the ideal setting for your child to make this change and to thrive.


Will my Local Authority fund Mary Hare?
Funding is decided on an individual basis dependent on your child's needs.  We work with almost all Local Authorities.  Around 50% of places are funded from the start.  The other 50% will require further talks and possibly a tribunal to decide an outcome.  You will get support from us throughout this process.

My child has made good progress at Primary School but I am unsure about our local Secondary School.
Secondary school is a very different place!  Why has your child done well at Primary School?  Is it because it is a smaller environment?  Or maybe he or she has made friends easily and does not feel different? Consider these reasons and decide what type of secondary environment would be right for your child.  Make sure you know how much progress your child has made and why.  This will then help you justify your choice of secondary school.

What support will I get for a tribunal?
If you are appealing about the name of school in the EHCP then you have 2 months from the date of the letter to register your appeal.  Once you know the date of your tribunal, let us know.  We will support you through the process alongside a Family Liaison Officer or Educational Lawyer.  We will help you put your case before the independent tribunal and will send one or two members of staff as witnesses on the day.

How are international students funded?
International students are generally privately funded.  A year's fees are payable in advance.