Mary Hare Primary School Appeal
Thomas joined Mary Hare Primary School in September 2016. He came to us because the specialist unit where he had been educated was closing down. So Thomas went to the local mainstream school but it quickly became obvious that this was not the right place to meet his needs.
“When we visited Mary Hare Primary school we were overwhelmed by the inclusion of every child. The beaming smile on Thomas’ face was priceless and at the end of the day he didn’t want to leave.”
Mary Hare Primary School has given many young deaf children like Thomas the start they need to develop their understanding and use of written and spoken English and access the national curriculum. Our Primary school also helps the children to deal with the social and emotional difficulties they may face because of their deafness.
The school has a family atmosphere which enables the children to flourish. We want to create a new school which takes the best of the old school and inspires the young people to achieve even more.
Mary Hare is building a new Primary School to give deaf children the modern learning environment they deserve.
Our school is currently based in a grade 2* listed building on the edge of Greenham Common in Newbury. It is a beautiful building set in wonderful grounds but it no longer meets our needs and is difficult to maintain and expensive to modernise.
We are passionate about the children in our care and know that we could do so much more for them if we had a purpose built, modern learning environment, situated on the same site as our Secondary School at Snelsmore Common.
What do we need?
- Classrooms that are built to the highest acoustic specification
- A speech & language and audiology suite
- A library
- A resource centre for families and professionals
- A drop in facility for families
- Homely accommodation for boarders
What will it look like?
What will we achieve?
- A better learning environment
- Fully accessible classrooms and residential accommodation
- The best acoustic treatment of classrooms
- A single campus for the Primary and Secondary schools
- Savings on our utilities and maintenance costs
- A better working environment
- More opportunity for outreach work
To view or download our Appeal brochure please click on the link below:
To view our Primary Appeal Launch videos please click the links below: